Thursday, March 1, 2018

March is here and so is the snow!

It's March 1st! Which means I can share my newest calendar stitch! March is such a beautiful design from The Snowflower Diaries monthly free pattern, too bad it's not even close to spring here in Michigan right?

We had a good week of melted snow, and warmer temps but today the snow returned in full force. At least it's pretty because I'm over it! We are getting ducks this spring and it feels like I'm waiting forever for it to warm up enough! 

The twins have been doing really good! I had to laugh at this photo though. What timing right? There is always that one silly sister right? 

Genji girl one of our turkey hens got injured almost 4 weeks ago. She's healing everyday but i feel so bad for her. One side she just keeps re-opening. Our other hen treaded on her like a male would. I had no idea I would even have to look out for this having just 2 females or I may have caught it sooner. There's no infection and I've been keeping her clean. After 2 weeks I was able to reintroduce her to the farm after separating her. She wanted to be out with them so bad. I made her a saddle apron to keep on and I'm still keeping Muffet away from her when I'm not in the pen at feeding time. 

Other than that things have been going great. The flock and the goaties have been really happy to get to play outside again, but today it's back to the coop until it melts! 
It sure is gorgeous though isn't it? 


Also I just had to share this picture. We have these wild turkeys (and a rare white smokey turkey!) But I've never seen the males with them. Only the hens and the poults so I took this fun photo a few days ago and just watched those Toms dancing around all those girls trying to catch them some ladies! They are so funny to watch! 

Well that's it for today. I'm hoping to blog soon on the kombusha I'm brewing. Share some duckling photos and much more. I just can't wait for spring and to share so much more on there! Winter makes it hard since everyone stays cooped up and cold! 



Thanks for reading! ~The Vela Homestead

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© The Vela Homestead. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.