Monday, December 18, 2017

My winter wonderland!

The cold has been sticking around as well as all this white snow. It's been fun watching all the animals learn to adapt to their new surroundings. They seem to be better with all of it now. I see the chickens spending more time outside than they had when it first fell a few weeks ago. They are still laying eggs too. 17 hens and we are still getting at least 9 eggs a day! Some days as much as 13, which seems pretty good to me! Our Turkeys haven't laid any yet that I know of though!

I have been feeling so incredibly grateful lately. I mean, I always feel really grateful for this little herd of ours, and all these dreams of mine to own land and animals coming true. Getting thought this cold winter, wondering each day how they will cope and watching them learn and grow. Seeing myself getting strong lugging buckets of warm water out each day and cleaning their homes up. It's been pretty exciting. It's not at all what I expected. They all have so much more personality than I had imagined and I just love them all! I did know right from the beginning that they would all be our pets, and not being used for food (Other than eggs!). So I did get attached pretty quickly, even for me!

What do you think was your best memory of your first farm animal?

I laugh the most because our turkeys are the biggest of our animals, but they are also such babies! They do have some growing up to do but looking at them you wouldn't know it!

Anyway, after a long day of work, I'm sitting down to write this blog, and show some snowy photos on here! The one thing I can say about Michigan is that I love having seasons. You can never get really bored with the seasons changing so often. I will say though that Winter is my least favorite season. It does lead to spring though and I can start planning my garden and watching things come back to life again so I am excited for all of that too!



The turkeys (Muffet and Genji) Sure look big next to the little 
goaties don't they? 








Thanks for reading! ~The Vela Homestead

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© The Vela Homestead. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.